Hot List

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Songs of Faith and Praise #470

"I heard an old, old story, how a Savior came from glory. How he gave his life on Calvary to save a wretch like me. I heard about his groaning and his precious blood's atoning. Then I repented of my sin and won the victory. Oh, victory in Jesus my Savior forever, he sought me, and bo't me, with his redeeming blood. He loved me ere I knew him, and all my love is due him, he plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood. I heard about a mansion he has built for me in glory, And I heard about the street of gold beyond the crystal sea; about the angels singing and the old redemption story, and some sweet day I'll sing up there the song of victory."

It's been exactly 3 years and 6 days since I was able to sing that song all the way through! The last time I sang it was December 22, 2005, at the Veteran's Hospital at the bedside of my sweet daddy as he won that sweet victory. For years that was our song - our little family of four, Daddy, Mom, Bill and I dedicated our life to making that song our theme song while I was growing up- whether it was ever verbalized or not. Daddy lived his life on this earth to be able to sing that song in glory, and I'm sure every time that I haven't made it through it in the last 3 years he has belted it out with his own little angel band.

When I hear the song leader announce that number I begin to talk to myself and think about how proud Daddy will be when I can sing it again, and never miss a note or verse. I almost made it this morning - that third verse gets me every time! But I know, even if I NEVER make it all the way through again here on this earth, - "that some sweet day I'll sing up there the song of victory" - and I won't be singing alone.

2 comments:

Marlette said...

Oh, Christye! I can't imagine how much you miss your sweet daddy. Aren't you so glad we can look forward to reuniting with all our loved ones someday - and be together FOREVER?!

I will think of you - and him - every time I hear that song. I love you!

Trina said...

I can't sing that song without thinking of you. One time, years ago, you told me you loved that song.