Have you read it yet? I'm not so sure about it yet - we (Danny & I) are reading the book with a wonderful Bible study group we belong to. I can't decide exactly what I think about the writing - I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the character that the author has made God (Papa) be, because he made God a woman - I can't quite get myself around that yet. But I have a ways to go in the book and when I start it's very hard for me to put the book down - so I have to be very discerning when I pick it up or many things will go undone! But, if you haven't read the book, pick it up and read it with a friend or a group of friends - because you're going to have to talk about it! I even want my children to read it - be careful with very young children because the opening is quite disturbing.
This has been a disturbing week for me - so I'm glad I've been in a mindset to talk to God often this week, with my reading. One of the young men that we attend worship and Bible class with was killed in a car wreck on Monday morning on his way to work (high school teacher) after the holiday break. His name is Thomas Culp (29 years old), such a bright and cheerful guy. He had a voice that I will never forget - full, and deep and he spoke with such clarity - his thoughts just rolled off his tongue - and it seemed he always left me with something to think about! He left behind a sweet, young, wife and baby daughter and a little one not yet in this world! My heart just broke for Bonnie when I saw her Wednesday at the visitation. Her world has just come crashing down - but she too has a heart for God and is searching for the blessing in this tragedy. As I was hugging her and we were crying together she said, "Christye I've always tried to do the right thing, and be faithful and this is just wrong." So I tried to think of something comforting (and I thought about some discussion we had in our Bible study just last Sunday night), and I said, "Bonnie, Satan is so cruel and he looks for ways to hurt the faithful, and this world is a cruel place," and Bonnie looked up and said, "It is and that's why this is not our home and Thomas is now home." There she was this sweet little broken hearted widow, and she was giving me pearls of comfort and wisdom. God will truly bless you Bonnie if you will keep the faith and keep looking forward, I love you dearly and I am praying for you always. All the emotions of this tragedy made me think of my precious friend Trina and how far she's come since she lost her soulmate "Cowboy" Kelly, over 5 years ago. She's made a home and wonderful life for her two young children who are about 8 and 5 now, and she's an inspiration to all of us who have watched her move through the hills and valleys - I will definately be getting Bonnie in touch with Trina soon.
Also this week, one of my second grade teammates lost her life mate of over 50 years. Jack had been sick for awhile and I think Charlene could tell his days here with her were coming to an end. But even though they had been married for over 50 years, and had been through so many things together and shared so much - the helplessness and pain was the same on Charlene's face as it was on Bonnie's face. Love is so indescribeable to me. It can take you to the highest high and bring you to the lowest low - and I just don't know how people can go through the high's and the low's of LOVE without God, that is such a mystery to me. But, I know Charlene and Bonnie have support and lots of love surrounding them - and somehow they will both get through this dark valley and someday the sun will shine again - I love them both so much.
I was visiting with another one of my second grade teammates on Friday, Lori Sherman, and we were of course talking about "life with teenagers, college kids, second grade students and the demands of the education field" and we finally concluded - Thank goodness for national holidays because just one more week and we will have another DAY OFF!!!! Sounds good to me Lori!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment